Nike Basketball is offering a metaphorical design with the LeBron X, themed after Diamonds. The rare gem is formed through a combination of time, pressure and heat, three qualities that have shaped LeBron James over his career, which just recently saw the Ohioan win his first Championship. This theme has directed the design of sneaker itself but will also come into play throughout the NBA season with diamond theme colorways.
Nike played with the theme on the "Crown Jewel" release and today launched the Blue Diamond colorway, which is influenced from the blue reaction diamonds give when interacting with electricity (a nod to LeBron's electric style of play). The "Cutting Jade" colorway will follow, referencing the Chinese technique of cutting jade with diamonds. Also in the mix is the classic black and red look, which has been dubbed the "Pressure" colorway.
The kicks have a three tiered price structure. The Sports Pack, which includes the hardware needed to unlock the performance tracking capabilities of the sneaker will run you $270 (£200). The Sneaker with the tracking capabilities will run you run $200. A third option that is not Nike+ enabled will retail for a bellow $200 price tag.
LEBRON X Key Technical Details:
- Hyperfuse construction on the upper is a composite of lightweight synthetic materials and mesh that are fused together to create a nearly seamless, one-piece upper that is lightweight, breathable, supportive and durable
- Flywire technology is strong yet dynamic and lightweight, providing an adaptive fit and excellent lockdown through the midfoot
- Mesh tongue and a full inner sleeve provide breathability
- Molded diamond shapes on the tongue add comfort
- Asymmetrical collar is cut higher on the medial side for support and lower on the lateral side for enhanced flexibility and comfort
- Diamond inspired detailing on the upper celebrates the tenth anniversary of LeBron James’ partnership with Nike
- Full-length, visible Nike Zoom unit allows low-profile, maximum cushioning with a soft and responsive feel under the entire foot
- Lightweight Phylon midsole provides ultra-lightweight cushioning and comfort
- Solid rubber outsole provides durability and traction for a variety of surfaces
- A modified herringbone pattern enhances multidirectional traction
LeBron James’ successful 2012 continues with the introduction of the LEBRON X shoe. Designed to the specifications of James, the shoe combines dynamic containment, protection and responsiveness tailored to one of the world’s most explosive players.
Inspired by the creation and beauty of a diamond, the metaphoric comparisons run parallel to James' career. Diamonds form between the Earth’s crust and super-heated core, where intensity changes the structure of carbon over time. Under extreme pressure and temperature, carbon then becomes diamonds.
Heat, time and pressure are three things James has faced, and they act as the shoe’s inspiration. Although a refined diamond is beautiful, it takes work to get there – it starts as a dull rock. Over time, it gains clarity and sharpens with multiple facets.
Each colorway of the LEBRON X has a unique story. The blue diamond colorway is symbolic of the blue tint diamonds gain from interaction with electricity, which can be paralleled to James' electric style of play. The cutting Jade colorway is inspired by the Chinese art of cutting jade using diamonds. The story continues throughout the season with multiple colorways linked to the diamond.
The LEBRON X+ is Nike’s first signature basketball shoe featuring Nike+ Basketball technology and is available in select colorways and in three versions: the fully loaded LEBRON X+ Sport Pack – which includes the shoe and the Nike+ Sport Kit, a Nike+ Basketball enabled version with NIKE+ technology embedded in the midsole, and a non-enabled version. The interactive experience allows users to track in-game activity with NIKE+ enabled shoes and later review, analyze, and share that information using the Nike+ Basketball app.
The technical benefits also include a lock-down fit, excellent cushioning on impact, and a lightweight feel. The very first full-length visible Nike Zoom unit, dynamic Flywire technology, Hyperfuse construction and Nike+ Basketball all bring the shoe to entirely new heights.