New York Jets star cornerback Darrelle Revis is now counted among the professional athletes to have a Nike signature sneaker. The sneaker took a year to develop with Revis taking an active role in the process alongside designer Ken Link (Nike Football Footwear Designer Director). Revis had this to say about his signature sneaker..
I approach my rehab in the same way I approach the game. My new shoe will help get me to game day by adapting to any movement, any level of intensity and any surface in my training – from the strength to conditioning and beyond.
Link also shares his thoughts on the shoe…
The Nike Zoom Revis was built from insights taken directly from the one of the premier cornerbacks in professional football. We’ve worked with Darrelle Revis for over a year to be able to deliver new insights around all aspects of his training. This shoe allows athletes to train for speed on different surfaces, in different ways and in different environments leading up to game day.
- The bridges in NYC served as a inspiration for the design of the Nike Zoom Revis. A bridge brings together two different types of surfaces and in much the same way, the Nike Zoom Revis allows athletes to train from wet to cold, inside to outside, and turf to grass.
- A “traction on demand” element in the outsole engages with the ground to provide the ultimate in traction on any surface when the athlete needs it most. The pattern represents the rivets on a bridge and the Volt colorway represents the bright city lights on the bridges in NYC.
- Nike Flywire is incorporated to provide lightweight adaptable support for lateral movement and extreme cuts. The Flywire design equals the number 24 on each side of the strap in roman numerals.
- The midfoot strap is placed across the shoe for enhanced lockdown and fit for lateral movement and quick cuts. This dynamic lockdown system and underfoot propulsion helps athletes explode on each first step. Inside the strap, Revis shares his favorite quote: “The only way to handle pressure is to apply it.”
- The visible full length Zoom Air sole provides an ultra responsive ride.
- The internal form fitting bootie for a comfortable fit. The word “FAMILY” is placed on the inside of the tongue in honor of Revis’ commitment to them.
- The TPU heel clip is included to lock the heel into place.
- Mesh underlays keep the shoe lightweight and breathable.